Wednesday, April 5, 2017

WEA in February - next course May

Gay's drawing of me




The WEA students soaked up the spaciousness of the Botanic Gardens in the middle of Sydney, on their ginko. We’d had several heatwaves, at last some cool weather!
Gawaine Powell Davies wrote this:

Someone
Splashed paint
On those leaves


We wandered towards the bamboo groves near the pond.

kisses under
the bamboo?
JAC loves MEL

Diana

I liked Gay’s approach, which was to respond to the gardens with drawings. In the spirit of first impressions (impressionism?) I wrote a very minimalist

pink on blue
on green on
sunlighted bamboo

I think this suffers from what some people don’t like about haiku: it is a bit thin. 
 But haiku can be a way of bringing you into the present. Gawaine wrote:

Just now, the birds were singing,
And I was here,
Writing this.

And Jan said, when we’d finished, “Wow! I haven’t felt this peaceful for a long time.”

My senryu:

commentary train
an English accent talks of
Aborigines

Well, this is the modern world! We are from everywhere, and a Botanic gardens contains plants from everywhere.
Final words from Trisha, on the study part of the course. We had read a Santoka haiku. She said, “It’s so beautiful it touches me inside – how can I explain how it makes me feel?”
And about the gardens, she said, “This is a magical place”.

Look at that!
I want to say –
divine lotus flowers

Diana





My next course with the WEA starts on Monday May 1st. It will again be a 5-week course, 9:30 am to 11:30 am. See the WEA website for details.

the ibis chick
shrieks about starvation
Mum honks back
D






No comments: