Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A cripple takes a short trip to Queensland



A little while ago I had many things on my mind. It was a hot morning; I was wearing a pair of loose floppy pants. If I just make a dash for it, I thought, I’ll speed things up marvellously. Across the carpark, towards the stairs to the newsagent -  I tripped over my pants and fell knee-first into the edge of the step.

Ow!!!

And I have had a very slow time of it instead, as my knee heals.

Injured leg propped up
my mind
does the running

xxxxxxxxxxxx

But somehow or other, I managed to get myself to far north Queensland last week, to Townsville. It was hot and muggy - it’s the wet season there. We went to the beach. The sea in which I swam was very warm, and the net kept the sharks and stingers out, so that they could do their own thing while I did mine. Then I found a superb pool in which to swim - the Rockpool (below) which is at the end of the Strand in Townsville. Magnetic island is just off the coast, and sea eagles were flying overhead, sunset, free entry, salt water - my idea of heaven.



We drove to Cairns, where we sampled another free pool, called the Lagoon. Thank you, lethal jellyfish who inhabit the waters of far north Queensland. Without you, these pools would not have been built. As the evening drew in, bats flew overhead and I floated weightless and unencumbered around in the clean salt water. I could look out at the bay off Cairns, while waving my bad leg around gently. We were a very muticultural swimming squad in that pool -swimmers from everywhere.

It was a very short trip, from the dry tropics to the wet tropics, and back again.

Long hot drive -
the fruit stall woman
offers me a plum

Innisfail

 We passed through the zone which had been in the eye of Cyclone Yasi two years ago, and been flattened. The bananas had sprung back,  the cafe at Cardwell where we took refreshments rebuilt, Tully bustled.

But eventually after all this excitement, I had to go home.

"Goodbye" -
in the Disabled zone
her soft cheek   

No comments: