Thursday, August 16, 2012

Some haiku - some walks


I did a most marvellous walk from Otford lookout south of Sydney, along the edge of the escarpment. There was a turnoff to a beach called Werrong, so I thought, "Why not?" I had been gazing down the steep cliffs to the sea surging below, to the container ships anchored offshore from Wollongong, to the shacks at a small beach. Well! It was a nice track, went past a lagoon, came to a stream....

As still as a rock
the body on the nudist beach
is sandstone brown

...............

In July I walked with friends from Perry's Lookdown, into the Grose valley. Before we began the descent, a white-eared honeyeater sat out on a twig, three hundred metres above the valley, and sang thrillingly. Down in the valley, I was delighted to find a 'Bleeding heart', Omalanthus populifolia, one of Australia's very few deciduous trees.  Some of its heart-shaped leaves were red and about to drop, or dropped. It was growing in a creek flowing into the Grose.
We walked out at quite a pace, but I wrote this:

Buff cliffs
reflected in the river - 
dappled, flowing

............

My garden is always changing....

winter bee
cruises slowly - 
fourteen peach blossoms



............
 
    

No comments: